Three Nobel Prize Winners in a row for the Department of Physics
(four in a row for the Physics community at Stanford).Professor Robert Laughlin's 1998 Nobel in Physics
Professor Steven Chu's 1997 Nobel in Physics
Professor Douglas Osheroff's 1996 Nobel in Physics
Other Physics Nobel Prizes for Stanford:
- Martin Perl (at SLAC), 1995
- Richard Taylor (SLAC and Physics), 1990
- Arthur Schawlow, 1981
- Burton Richter (SLAC), 1976
- Robert Hofstadter, 1961
- Felix Bloch (Stanford's first Nobel, namesake of the original and new Bloch Lecture Hall, Hewlett room 201), 1952
- Willis E. Lamb Jr., 1955 (Professor 1951-1956)
- William Shockley, 1956 (EE Lecturer 1955-63, Prof. of Engr. 1963-75)
- Sheldon Glashow, 1979 (Assistant Professor, 1961-62)
- Melvin Schwartz, 1988 (Professor 1966-1984)
- Henry W. Kendall, 1990 (Assistant Professor 1958-1961)
- Theodor W. Hänsch, 2005 (Asst.Prof. 1972-75, Prof. 1975-1986)
- Kenneth G. Wilson, 1982 (at SLAC, 1969-70)
- Jerome I. Friedman, 1990 (Research Associate 1957-60)
- Eric A. Cornell, 2001 (Stanford B.S. 1985)
- Carl E. Wieman, 2001 (Stanford Ph.D. 1977)
- SLAC PPA
- Information for graduate students interested in working with faculty in Particle Physics and Astrophysics at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.
- Relativity File
- Information on experiments involving relativity, including Gravity Probe B and the Satellite Test of the Equivalence Principle.
- A collaboration with SLAC and NASA working on the Gamma Ray Large Area Space Telescope.
- Picosecond Free Electron Laser Center
- A part of Stanford's W.W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory, the Stanford Picosecond FEL Center is the home of Stanford's Superconducting Accelerator (SCA) and Free Electron Laser (FEL).
- ARPES -- Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy
- Studying complex material systems, including the strongly correlated electron systems, such as the high-temperature superconductors and the Mott insulators.
Research CentersSITP - Stanford Institute for Theoretical Physics
KIPAC - Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology
CSSA - Center for Space Science and Astrophysics
HEPL - Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory
GLAM - Geballe Laboratory for Advanced Materials
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
SSRL - Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory
PublicationsThe publications section lists the documents available for download.
Added & Edited by:
Department of Physics, Indonesia University of Education
Follower Open Course Ware at MIT-Harvard University, U.S.A.